Fall Closing Information
All students, except those with an accepted Remote Learning Housing and Food Services (HFS) Contract, must vacate Orchard Hall by 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 21.
Students should coordinate with their roommate to leave at different times. This will help to promote social distancing while also reducing campus traffic congestion typically associated with semester departures.
Only one individual should travel to pick up a student and assist with move out. When possible, that individual should stay outside or remain in their vehicle until the student arrives with their belongings. Those picking up students will be required to follow Penn State protocols and local ordinances for masking and social distancing.
The University has announced the availability of free departure testing before the closure. Visit https://virusinfo.psu.edu/departure-testing for more information and to schedule departure testing.
Students who plan to return for spring 2021:
- Take all essentials - Personal belongings can remain in the room but students should take what is needed for the extended time away - classwork, books, computers, charging cords, photo ID and other important documents, medications, fish, plants, etc. Students will not be able to retrieve items from their rooms during the Remote Learning period or Winter Break.
- Remove perishables from rooms - especially the microfridge - and take them home or throw away. Campuses sometimes experience power outages, and no one wants to return to a smelly room. If offending items are left behind, HFS may remove them for the health and safety of those still in the building.
- Turn off the lights and unplug electronics (but not the microfridge).
- Close and lock windows and door when departing.
- Update forwarding address in LionPath to have mail redirected; students should use the correct shipping address when making purchases online while they're away. HFS is unable to forward packages and can only hold those until students return.
HFS is still finalizing the details around spring arrival - students should monitor their Penn State email during the break for the information needed to plan.
Students who plan to leave Penn State and will not return for spring 2021:
Students not returning for spring should request a Move-Out Checklist from the HFS Office and follow these steps to properly check-out of University Housing:
- Complete and sign the form
- Remove all personal items from the room
- Clean the room and common areas
- Take trash to the dumpster
- Lock door
- Pick up any mail/packages
- Update forwarding address in LionPATH
Students must return the signed form and room key to the HFS Office or a designated space in the building (if available). The HFS Office is open 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students who plan to leave after 4:00 p.m. should contact the HFS Office to make after-hours checkout arrangements.
A student who has already left campus and hasn't checked out properly should contact HFS at [email protected] or 610-892-1215 to avoid unnecessary charges.
Campus Dining Modified Hours
Blue Apple Cafe will be open regular hours through Friday, November 20. On Saturday, November 21, the Cafe will be open from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.