Direct Room Exchange
Penn State Housing and Food Services strives to accommodate students’ preferences when making room assignments. At the time that room assignments are posted, all rooms have been assigned, and there are no empty spaces available to change a student’s room assignment. After assignments are posted, students interested in a room change can use the Room Exchange eBoard in eLiving. The dates for when the Room Exchange eBoard is available will be announced in advance.
Some room or contract types are not available for direct room exchange. For example, supplemental spaces and medical accommodations may not be available for exchange.
By using the Room Exchange eBoard, the student accepts responsibility for the room exchange, and by conducting a room exchange, the student acknowledges that he or she is accepting the new room assignment and understands that the University is not able to undo that transaction. If the student is not satisfied with the room exchange, the student can re-post the room to facilitate another exchange.
To access the Room Exchange eBoard, the student should login to eLiving and select “Room Exchange eBoard” from the left-hand navigation. The following options are available:
My eBoard Postings
This section allows you to manage your room posting so that other students may see where you live and where you are interested in moving. You may add postings for as many different housing areas as you are interested in reviewing. You may also indicate if you are looking for a room to accommodate you and your roommate. But keep in mind that when you process a room switch, your roommate won’t be moved automatically and will need to process a room switch as well. If you do complete a room exchange, any remaining eBoard postings will become inactive.
View eBoard Postings
This section displays other students’ eBoard postings. To view the postings, you must first add your own eBoard posting.
Postings will include information about where a student currently lives, what type of room they are assigned, and whether they want to move with their roommate. If you find a student whose assignment you are interested in switching with, you can view that posting by clicking on the student’s Access ID. You can review their room assignment and room rates associated with the assignment. If there is a difference in room rate, the increase/decrease will be indicated. To complete the request, click on the “Submit Room Switch Request” button and the system will send an email to the student. The student will have 48 hours to respond to your request. During that time period, you will not be able to send out other requests (you may cancel any pending requests). If the student is interested in your assignment, they will accept the request. The system will automatically make the room assignment change, and any room rate adjustment necessary will be applied to your student account. Follow the instructions below once the room switch has been processed online.
My Room Switch Requests
This section displays the status of your Room Exchange postings.
If you receive a request to switch rooms, the request will be displayed in this section. You can decline or accept a room switch request. If you have initiated a request and later decide to cancel the request, you can use this section to process the cancellation.
Direct Room Exchanges
If you know a student who you want to switch rooms with directly, you do not need to post your room assignment but can submit a direct room exchange using this screen. You will enter the student’s Penn State Access ID, and the system will submit the request to them directly. They will have 48 hours to respond to your request. During that time period, you will not be able to send out other requests (you may cancel any pending requests). If the student is interested in your assignment, they will accept the request. The system will automatically make the room assignment change, and any room rate adjustment necessary will be applied to your student account.
1. Your room assignment has changed but you are not currently checked in:
- If you switched room assignments with a student before the semester started, you can simply check into the new room when you arrive. No further action is required.
2. You are moving from one room to another during the semester or between fall and spring semesters:
- The room change must be completed during a 24-hour period within three days of the effective date (date it was processed). This includes checking out of your old room and into your new room at the Housing and Food Services office.
- Arrange for a check-out inspection of your current room by Housing staff. Staff are available to conduct inspections between 8:30 a. m. and 3:30 p. m. Monday through Friday.
- Return your room key to the Housing and Food Services Office. You will be given the key to your new room and a check-in form. Don’t exchange keys directly with the other student. If you do not return your room key, your student account will be charged for changing the lock.
- You will be assigned a new mailbox and can have your mail forwarded.
- Submit the online Room Inspection Form on eLiving with any damages or problems noted within seven days of check-in.
Do you have other questions about exchanging rooms? Contact the Housing and Food Services office.